Friday, June 7, 2013

Quarter Century Lessons: Navy Blue

Once I was told that if I was a color I would be the color navy blue, because I could be an accent color or the main color. This last month I have realized that this is probably true. 

I started working at Jackson Lake Lodge at the beginning of this last month and it had been quite the adventure. I would like to say I was not prepared for what I got, but I had been warned by multiple people. Given the fact that Jackson Lake Lodge is closed seven months out of the year I should have been prepared for the disorganization that I arrived to. With it being only open for a short time there is not a whole lot of people that choose to continue working there multiple years in a row, especially in management positions. In saying that, most people were just trying to figure out what's going on the first week or so I was here, so it was a little bit of a mess. At first I just tried to get a feel for what it was like and how things were run so I would know weather I was going to be a main color or an accent color. 

I was not impressed with the way things were panning out in the beginning so I tried to be an accent color and fade into the background so I wouldn't have to deal with a lot of what was going on. A little over a week of that and I realized that if I was to remain sane over the next four months I needed to start acting more of the main color. I then started organizing things and cleaning and trying to make the communication a little better with at least our department. After a few days things got a little better. 

My boss is a soft spoken man, quite literally, I have to ask him to repeat himself multiple times a day. In saying this he does not exert himself as the manager figure he should be, so sometimes I feel I need to play that role so things can run smoother. It aggravates me that I am forced to do that, but it has been teaching me what I am made of as a leader and as a baker. In the long run I guess I should be thanking him. All this opportunity to be the main color Navy Blue has been teaching me valuable lessons on how it will someday be at my own bakery. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment